Sunday 9 July 2023

I.m. John Whitworth

I'm sad to learn, from the introduction to Poetry South East 2020, that John Whiworth hads died. He was someone I always felt I would like to meet. I thought we would get on really well. I 'met' him when we both had poems in New Poetry 2 published in 1976 by the Arts Council of Great Britain. Only on re-reading do I realise what distinguished company John and I were among in that volume, and that our work was selected from nearly ten thousand poems submitted. As a poet he was much more successful than me. He went Oxford, which I would have done if I hadn't wasted precious time on physics. But I'm not going to devalue my own modest successes by comparison. And I'm still alive. Anyway, farewell, John, and thank you again for 'Jenny'.

No comments:

Post a Comment